2011-08-15

W5. Drawer slide & News of rebuild chrischurch

 I  went to Mitre 10 this morning, but I cant find the "push to open slides"






 
The 1:1 model without handles

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of class:

I remember when Judy ask us what Christchurch people lost after the earthquake, some people say water,food. At that time, I thought they lost hope. Today, I saw this news for the cardboard cathedral I think that the Architect's opinion is quite similar with me. Although religion is not my sustenance but it is important for others. At the begin to the "sustenance" project , I have thought to design a place for religion but I have no religion so that is difficult to think what people need. I think this cardboard cathedral is a quite interesting project because it is for temporary use and the metiral seems not difficult to get. 

Cardboard Cathedral
NEWS FOR THE REBUILD CHRISTCHURCH

Reference: http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/16110/shigeru-ban-architects-cardboard-cathedral.html



Japan based practice shigeru ban architects has unveiled their proposal 'cardboard cathedral', a replacement structure for the christ church cathedral located in new zealand. an earthquake struck the city of christchurch in february 2011, heavily damaging the existing church and leaving the community in need of an interim structure to continue their daily activities. the design consists of an A-frame quickly erected with cardboard tubes and polycarbonate which will rest upon foundations fabricated from twenty foot long shipping containers. the interior volume will serve as an event and concert space capable of holding 700 individuals






'cardboard cathedral' by shigeru ban architects located in christchurch, new zealand
images courtesy of shigeru ban architects




(left) front facade
(right) proposed structural A-frame




(left) front facade
(right) proposed structural A-frame


  Architect's drawing

No comments:

Post a Comment